Stainless Steel’s resistance to staining and corrosion, its low maintenance, low cost, brilliant shine and strength make it the perfect material for a variety of fasteners and applications.
What is Stainless Steel:
The magic ingredient in stainless steel is chromium. When added to steel in sufficient amount (minimum 11%), chromium forms of a microscopic, tough, invisible, chromium oxide film on the steel surface that is resistant to scratches and corrosion and is exceptionally hygenic and easy to clean.
Carbon steel rapidly oxidizes when exposed to air and moisture. The iron oxide film (rust) accelerates corrosion by promoting more iron oxide formation. In contrast, chromium oxide blocks corrosion or rust from spreading into the alloy’s internal structure.
When to Choose Stainless Steel Fasteners:
- Cost savings over the longer term.
- Exposure to corrosive environments (eg harsh chemicals, sea coast).
- Very low temperature environments prevent brittleness.
- Extremely high temperature environments to maintain material strength.
- When frequent tightening/loosening/removal of the fastener is expected.
- When high strength over weight is important.
- Where hygenic/easy cleaning is a essential.
- When aesthetics are desired. It does not rust or tarnish and plating is not necessary.
Key Considerations When Choosing Stainless Steel Fasteners:
- Select the correct grade for the specific task at hand.
- Proper design guarantees savings in the long run (time and money).
- Good finishes perform and look better.
- Minimal maintenance required, and prolonged life span.
Benefits of Stainless Steel Fasteners:
- Value over the long term.
- Low maintenance.
- Common and Available.
- Corrosion Resistant.
For detailed information regarding stainless steel and stainless steel fasteners, including the chemical composition, mechanical and physical properties, tensile and yield strengths, torque values and shear strengths, click here
Stainless Steel Fasteners In Stock at Aspen Fasteners:
24 Hour Delivery Door-To-Door Service With UPS
Aspen Fasteners stocks full lines of stainless steel screws, nuts, bolts and washers available for same day shipping from distribution centers across the USA. And remember, it’s always free shipping. Expedited next day delivery is also available for those rush requirements.